MCN ROCKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a shoulder......

+5
taddy
4Cherubs
trace79
winniesmum
Odie
9 posters

Go down

Need a shoulder...... Empty Need a shoulder......

Post by Odie 31/07/09, 11:22 pm

Thought I'd put it here not NA as I have spent more time with most of you on here than there and the crap on NA is unbearable atm.

I had a call from my mum last night as dad went for a chest CT. He's had the 'flu' for almost a month and antibiotics havent done anything so he had the CT. As usual she was told to see the GP for the results but oh no mum has to be nosey as she always is and open them. Low and behold she doesnt understand them so she calls me. For those who dont know Im a nurse and have worked in most areas (I get bored easy!) So she rattles off the report and I understand about 90%. I ask her to fax it to me so I can read it properly. Upon getting the fax I hit the floor.

There is a large mass in the right side of his lung basically completely occluding his breathing tube on the right side. There is also enlarged lymph nodes. Some of you by now will know why I hit the floor.

Dad has lost about 14kg in the last 2 months, has no energy, is a heavy smoker and isnt eating much. Yep that great C word is looking most likely. I explained to mum there is a mass and he will need a biopsy to determine exactly what it is. I already know, I'm doubtful that it will be nothing. Dad ticks all the boxes for cancer. He's 56 years old.

I guess I never thought about it before and never contemplated Dad not being around. I know even though he is quiet and doesnt put up much fuss he is the stronger of my parents. I asked mum to go to the GP for the appt I now have the fun job of telling my work who I have only been working for for the last 3 days that I may be taking time off! Oh boy Im sure they are going to love that I wouldnt be surprised if I dont get kept on after my 3 month probationary period (dont blame them) Both mum and dad still work but if it is what I think it is dad wont be working which means mum wont be coping.

I know I might be presuming too much but I know for a change I will need to be the support as hard as that will be with me in VIC and them in QLD. Paul and I have already had the discussion on moving to QLD and what it would mean for he and I work wise.

I know as well the mass they have found will only be biospied by bronchoscopy which means dad will be recovering for a few days and even if not cancer he will need it removed which then means weeks of rehab. So all in all there is a high probability I will be back home in a month or so when he recovers to a) nurse him, b) help with an income and c) keep mum from having a stroke as she stresses early.

If youve read this far thanks and well done. Like a Star @ heaven

I guess I needed to talk to 'someone' but I dont want any of my family or friends stressing out over me about it so easier to do it here. Paul is trying to be as supportive as he can for a male but it also means a huge change for him if we move he has just started applying to do his carpentry apprenticeship his dream job. Might remain a dream for a short time yet.....

Well so very sorry to bring a black cloud on the new forum thanks ladies Rolling Eyes
Odie
Odie

Back to top Go down

Need a shoulder...... Empty Re: Need a shoulder......

Post by winniesmum 01/08/09, 12:53 am

Oh crap Odie.... I dont know what to say Sad

Your welcome to talk about it here anytime you like & if there's anything we can do for you just let us know ok
winniesmum
winniesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by trace79 01/08/09, 01:45 am

oh shit hun. I don't know what to say. We are always here to chat. Please let us know how he gets on.

xxxxx
trace79
trace79

Back to top Go down

Need a shoulder...... Empty hugs

Post by 4Cherubs 01/08/09, 02:21 am

So sorry to read your news Odie. Crying or Very sad Thinking of you xxxx
4Cherubs
4Cherubs

Back to top Go down

Post by taddy 01/08/09, 03:39 am

Oh hun, I am sorry to hear that. I really don't know what to say, but we are all here if you need to talk. GBH Crying or Very sad
taddy
taddy

Back to top Go down

Post by MoM 01/08/09, 04:39 am

Aww Odie hunny, I'm sorry you had to find out like that. Especially seeing the report etc yourself.

I can only offer you a great big hug, and if you need help of any sort, I am here.

I replied to your PM before I read this.

bounce confused Let me know if I can help in any way hun
MoM
MoM

Back to top Go down

Post by teruteru 01/08/09, 05:36 am

let me know if i can help in anyway.

all the best for your family.

teruteru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobo 01/08/09, 08:15 am

*HUGS*

sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad
Hobo
Hobo

Back to top Go down

Post by Odie 01/08/09, 09:37 am

Its been a long morning Kayla is teething and Tess is farting and Paul is off fishing. Im not counting on him actually catching anything so its snags for tea!

Dad went to the GP this morning and took mum as I suggested.

Its cancer as I already knew. Dads frightened and mums upset they havent told my sister as yet she will be home on Wed so they will tell her then. His options have been explained to him and it looks like he will have his right lung removed regardless and then either chemo or radiation therapy.

I will wait till the biopsy results are back and if its an agressive cancer we will make the move.

Thanks all for your well wishes it does mean alot to me I feel so helpless being so far away from them.

Fi
Odie
Odie

Back to top Go down

Post by winniesmum 01/08/09, 11:02 am

this i terrible odie, i hope its best case scenario & they kill the cancer real quick
winniesmum
winniesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by mummyto2boys 01/08/09, 01:39 pm

HUGS hun.. that is horrible news and i think you have dealt with it quite well from the sounds of it. hopefully what they have said to you is worst case scenario and i hope that the biopsies go smoothly and its not an 'agressive' cancer. im here any time you need to talk hun, you have been for me Smile I love you
mummyto2boys
mummyto2boys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum